Software Engineering Manager
** This is an opportunity to join our team of top-notch software engineers working closely together on interesting projects for our clients. This position is fully remote (indefinitely). **
Emergent Software is seeking a relational, team-focused, and results-driven Software Engineering Manager to lead and support our exceptional software engineering team. We are looking for a candidate who excels in problem-solving, honest communication, and team building. Your primary responsibility will be to align, engage, and develop the team, ensuring the successful delivery of high-quality custom software solutions.
Highlights & Benefits of working at Emergent Software
- Work closely with other talented engineers and team members. Our vetting process means you can count on your team members to know what they are talking about.
- Work from home or work remotely from anywhere you want
- Flexible work schedule meaning you can work regular hours or choose weekends and evenings
- Work-life balance is essential and highly valued at Emergent Software. If you choose to work more than 40 hours, you’ll be compensated for the extra work!
- Work on interesting projects solving complex business problems with custom software.
- 100 hours per year to focus on your professional development. We invest in your growth!
- Profit sharing bonus means as we’re successful, you’re successful
- Excellent benefits package including medical insurance, dental, vision, 401(k) matching, FSA, disability, life insurance, and paid parental leave
The Software Engineering Manager will lead a team of engineers with the goals of:
- Continuously growing in capabilities and learning from each other
- Delivering high-quality and high-value custom software applications
- Establishing trust and long-term relationships with our clients
- Cultivate a culture of technical and leadership growth, knowledge sharing, high-quality standards, and strong client relationships.
- Manage HR aspects, including 1:1s, consistent feedback, performance reviews, goal setting, benefits management, and conflict resolution.
- Allocate team members to projects, maximizing skill alignment, growth goals, and productivity.
- Build and foster cohesive project teams, promoting peer mentorship and collaboration.
- Function as an escalation point to resolve project issues and unblock work.
- Actively participate in the sales process by engaging with prospective clients through direct meetings and/or by providing guidance and coaching during team-led sales calls.
- Balance your team's priorities between client work, personal growth, and internal initiatives.
- Collaborate with recruiters and potential candidates to create job openings and evaluate candidates.
- Serve as a product owner for internal tools built and maintained by your team.
- Communicate company values, news, and initiatives effectively.
- Relay developers' feedback and concerns to executive leadership.
- Proven experience leading a team of developers in roles such as scrum master, project manager, product owner, technical lead, manager, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated expertise in team building, coaching, and performance management.
- Excellent problem-solving, decision-making, and organizational skills.
- Strong knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with a proven record of building strong relationships.
- Confidence in leading meetings and speaking in front of virtual groups.
Nice to Have Experience
- Experience writing code as a professional software engineer
- Experience in technology consulting or building custom applications for external clients
Our Vetting Process
At Emergent Software, we work hard to find the best software engineers capable of developing high quality software for our clients. If you think you’re one of those, please understand that the effort put into this by people like yourself helps us be successful in surrounding you with other top-notch engineers. Here are the steps of our vetting process for this position:
- Application (5 minutes)
- Online Assessment (40-50 minutes)
- Initial Phone Interview (30-45 minutes)
- Technology Knowledge Assessment Interview (30-40 minutes)
- Leadership Interview (60-90 minutes)
- Job Offer!
Benefits Package Details
- Medical Insurance: up to 90% of your monthly medical premium (HSA options available)
- Dental & Vision Insurance: up to 50% of your monthly dental and vision premium costs
- 401(k) plan: company match up to 4% of salary
- Profit sharing bonus: up to 15% of salary paid quarterly
- Extra compensation: for extra hours, off-hours work, and customer referrals
- Flex Spending Account (FSA) for Dependent Care & Healthcare Costs
- Short Term Disability: $500/week for 12 weeks
- Long Term Disability: up to $6,000/month
- Group term life and AD&D insurance: $50k
- PTO, standard holidays, 2 floating holidays
- Paid parental leave: 2 weeks
- Staff development program: 100 hours/year plus training costs
About Emergent Software
Emergent Software is a fast-growing software development and consulting company serving clients across the country and beyond. We are building a team of talented software engineers, database architects, UX designers and project managers capable of developing high quality custom software services for our clients.
We are a remote-first company
From our inception, we offered a remote-friendly culture supporting work flexibility beyond the norm. When the pandemic of 2020 hit, all we had to do was clean out the fridge and the shift to working fully remote began. Seeing this as an opportunity, we shifted to being a remote-first company and hiring people from anywhere. We still offer that Minnesota-nice, Midwest friendly attitude but now with people all over treated the same whether they know what the skyway system is or not.
Your career grows with us
Working with talented engineers on interesting projects makes this an engaging work environment for people passionate about software development. Learning by working directly with our experienced team, utilizing our staff development program, and solving complex problems on a variety of project provide ample long-term career development opportunities.
At Emergent Software, your ideas will be heard, you will grow exponentially as a master of your craft, and you will enjoy working other dedicated team members to deliver software solutions for our clients.
Check out what others say
Check us out on Glassdoor to see how employees enjoy our remote working structure, flexible hours, profit sharing program, and more!
In this role, you will lead a fast growing team that delivers high-quality and high-value custom software applications; while establishing trust and long-term relationships with our clients.