Technical Product Owner / Software Development Expert
** This is an opportunity to join our top-notch software development team working closely together on interesting projects for our clients. This position is fully remote (indefinitely).**
Emergent Software is looking for a technical product owner / software development expert who is a smart, passionate, and enjoys problem solving using technology and software. A qualified candidate is a product owner with 5+ years of experience gathering requirements and managing the delivery of custom web application development projects in the Microsoft stack. This 100% remote position is for self-starters with good communication skills, strong technology knowledge, and experience with agile methodologies.
Highlights & Benefits of working at Emergent Software
- Work closely with other talented software engineers and analysts. Our vetting process means you can count on your team members to know what they are talking about.
- Work from home or work remotely from anywhere you want
- Flexible work schedule meaning you can work regular hours or whenever you work best
- Work-life balance is essential and highly valued at Emergent Software. If you choose to work more than 40 hours, you’ll be compensated for the extra work!
- Work on interesting projects solving complex business problems with custom software.
- 100 hours per year to focus on your professional development. We invest in your growth!
- Profit sharing bonus means as we’re successful, you’re successful
- Excellent benefits package including medical insurance, dental, vision, 401(k) matching, FSA, disability, life insurance, and paid parental leave
- Through requirements gathering and analysis, gain a thorough understanding of your project's objectives including target scope, cost, and timeline.
- Work with your team and client to create a plan for delivering on project objectives.
- Communicate technical and business requirements to software engineers – you must already understand how custom web applications work before you start this job!
- Ensure projects stay on target by regularly communicating status, risks, and change as they occur.
- Work directly with clients to manage project delivery while encouraging and fostering an agile delivery method
- Manage requirements and scope using common agile development methodologies and a backlog stored within Microsoft Azure DevOps.
- Help evaluate engagement plans and high level solutioning to ensure clear deliverables are identified prior to project kickoff.
- Partner with clients to assist them in performing the Product Owner role.
- Work with leadership and other team members to mature our Agile and overall software delivery practices.
- Other related duties as needed to ensure project success.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle models including expert knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles
- A proven track record of successfully implementing custom web application projects using Agile methodologies
- 5+ years of experience as a Product Owner on complex custom software development projects
- Strong technical background enabling you to provide credible leadership to development teams and accurately evaluate complex project risks and issues
- A solid understanding of how websites, web applications, APIs, databases, and the cloud function at a high level
- Experience with agile work organization tools (Azure DevOps, Jira, Trello, Basecamp, Rally)
- Experience operating as the liaison between agile development teams and users in defining requirements, performing business analysis, and driving delivery in the right direction
- Strong technical writing, verbal communication, and presentation skills are a must
Nice to Have Experience
- Industry recognized Agile process certification (CSM, SAFe, LeSS, or equivalent) or PMP
- Previous experience on a mature agile development team in roles such as developer, PM, Scrum Master, QA, etc.
- Previous consulting experience either independent consulting or with a firm
- Some examples of profiles/backgrounds that we feel would do well in this role:
- Software engineer turned product owner
- Computer Science degree that is currently in a TPO role
- Someone who is a product owner with a passion for the technical side of software development
Our Vetting Process
At Emergent Software, we work hard to find the best analysts capable of delivering high quality software for our clients. If you think you’re one of those, please understand that the effort put into this by people like yourself helps us be successful in surrounding you with other top-notch people. Here are the steps of our vetting process for this position:
- Application (5 minutes)
- Online Assessment (40-50 minutes)
- Initial Phone Interview (30-45 minutes)
- Technology Knowledge Assessment Interview (20-30 minutes)
- Challenge Interview (90 minutes)
- Take Home Challenge (3-4 hours)
- Final Interview (60-90 minutes)
- Job Offer!
Benefits Package Details
- Medical Insurance: up to 90% of your monthly medical premium (HSA options available)
- Dental & Vision Insurance: up to 50% of your monthly dental and vision premium costs
- 401(k) plan: company match up to 4% of salary
- Profit sharing bonus: up to 15% of salary paid quarterly
- Extra compensation: for extra hours, off-hours work, and customer referrals
- Flex Spending Account (FSA) for Dependent Care & Healthcare Costs
- Short Term Disability: $500/week for 12 weeks
- Long Term Disability: up to $6,000/month
- Group term life and AD&D insurance: $50k
- PTO, standard holidays, 2 floating holidays
- Paid parental leave: 2 weeks
- Staff development program: 100 hours/year plus training costs
About Emergent Software
Emergent Software is a fast-growing software development and digital consulting company serving clients across the country. We are building a team of professionals with the variety of skills our clients need to consider Emergent Software their one-stop-shop for web & cloud-based solutions.
We are a remote-first company
From our inception, we offered a remote-friendly culture supporting work flexibility beyond the norm. When the pandemic hit in 2020, we simply cleaned out the office fridge and switched to a fully remote work environment – and we’ve never looked back. This pivot has allowed us to welcome talented team members from all over the country and give everyone the same opportunities whether they know what the ‘skyway system’ is or not.
Your career grows with us
Working with talented people on interesting projects makes this an engaging work environment for those passionate about helping businesses with technology. Learning by working directly with our experienced team, utilizing our staff development program for self-growth, and solving complex problems on a variety of projects provide ample long-term career development opportunities for all.
At Emergent Software, your ideas will be heard, you will grow exponentially as a master of your craft, and you will enjoy working with other dedicated team members to deliver solutions for our clients.
In this role, you will gain a thorough understanding of your project's objectives including target scope, cost and timeline, create a plan for delivering on those objectives, and ensure project stays on target communicating status, risks, and change as they occur. See the job description for requirements.